Fried Eggplant Salad for Four
1 large or 2 small eggplants (about 1 1/2 pounds)
about 1/2 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 large clove garlic, minced
Juice of 2 lemons
salt and freshly ground black pepper
chopped fresh parsley
1. Cut the stem from the eggplant and slice it in half lengthwise. Cut each half into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place the slices in a colander, sprinkle them with salt, and let stand 30 minutes. Brush the eggplant with paper towels to remove the salt; pat dry.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add enough eggplant slices to cover the bottom. Sprinkle lightly with more oil, and sauté until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Continue to sauté the eggplant slices, adding more oil as needed.
3. Pour off all but 2 teaspoons of oil from the skillet. Add the onion and fry over medium-low heat for one minute; add the garlic; cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.?
4. Place 1/4 of the eggplant on the bottom of a deep, narrow serving bowl. Sprinkle with the juice of lemon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Top with 1/4 of the onion mixture. Continue to layer, squeezing lemon juice over each successive layer of eggplant, until all ingredients are used up. End with the onion mixture.
5. Chill well. Serve garnished with parsley and lemon wedges.