Flamingo Peppers Stuffed With Grilled Chicken Breast, Black Beans and Smoked Mozzarella
The following recipe is from a web site called Saffron Lane (www.saffronlane.com). It is reproduced with permission and was developed by chef Elizabeth Howes. The web site has beautiful photos of the process, step by step.
1. Blacken four or five flamingo peppers over an open flame – either a gas stove or a hot grill. Remove them from the flame and wrap in a paper bag for about five minutes.
2. Combine and then chill:
1/2 cup thinly sliced cabbage
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon finely diced cilantro
1 tablespoon finely diced chives
1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
juice of 1 lime
sea salt and pepper
3. Remove the peppers from the paper bag and gently peel the blackened skin off of each pepper. With a sharp knife, slice each pepper vertically down one side (not through). Gently remove the seeds and inner ribs.
4. Preheat oven to 400°. Combine in a large bowl:
1 grilled chicken breast, shredded and tossed with cumin, olive oil, sea salt and pepper
1/2 cup black beans
3/4 cup grated smoked mozzarella
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon olive oil
5. Gently stuff the peppers with the chicken mixture. Bake for 15 minutes and an additional 2 or 3 minutes under the broiler until golden.
6. Remove the peppers from the oven and serve with the chilled slaw.