Vegan Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Recipe submitted by Elisa Rohner (Both a great cook AND the force behind Full Belly Farm’s web site design).
2 onions, diced
3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons smoked paprika (optional)
A few dashes of dried chipotle (optional)
4 roasted red peppers (see directions below)
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup tahini (optional)
1. Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes, Add salt, paprika, chipotle and roasted red peppers. Cook for 1-2 minutes more, stirring as you go.
2. Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. Add coconut milk and tahini, mix, bring to a boil and remove from heat.
4. Purée with an immersion blender or regular blender.
5. Optional: garnish with a dollop of créme fraiche
The chipotle powder gives the soup an added warmth. This can also be achieved if you supplement with some hotter peppers. I roasted the Full Belly sweet peppers by cutting them in half, removing the stem and seeds, and placing them face down on a baking sheet. Then I put them not too close under the broiler until they were blackened. Then I took them out and put them in a bowl covered with a plate to steam the skins until they cooled. Then you can easily peel the skins off and use the peppers in the soup. The overall taste reminded me of a Thai soup, probably because of the coconut milk. Next time I might add basil leaves or cilantro at the end.