Recipe of the Week
Raw Summer Tomato Sauce for Pasta
Dear Full Belly,
We got some fabulous heirloom tomatoes in our last box and I saw this recipe to use them in the June/July 2016 AARP magazine. The tomatoes really made the dish.
-- Linda Drey-Nightingale
2 lbs. ripe heirloom or cherry tomatoes
3-4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
6 large basil leaves
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1c. or more freshly grated Grana or Romano cheese or fresh mozzarella
12 oz. of pasta, bow tie or preferred type
1. Cut the tomatoes into 1” cubes making sure you catch all the juices, or cut cherry tomatoes in half.
2. Chop the garlic cloves into a fine paste. (This is easier if you add some of the salt as you smash with the flat side of the knife.) Scatter the garlic paste and the remaining salt over the tomatoes. Stir gently.
3. Pile up the basil leaves and cut them into thin strips. Scatter these over the tomatoes, and sprinkle in the crushed red pepper flakes.
4. Pour in the oil, stir and fold to coat the tomato mix and distribute the seasonings.
5. Cover the bowl and let marinate at room temperature for 1-2 hrs.
6. Toss the marinated sauce with freshly cooked pasta and cheese.