Recipe of the Week
Kale and Ricotta Sandwich
This past Saturday my family and I found ourselves in Berkeley, digging for treasures for the new kitchen at Ohmega Salvage and The Sink Factory. We stumbled upon a wonderful little cafe called Bartavelle (www.bartavellecafe.com), for snacks. One of the menu items was a Kale and Ricotta Sandwich, and it was wonderful! It uses both the kale and arugula in your box, or you could substitute the spinach for either the kale or the arugula if you prefer. It was so simple and soooo delicious! They used a lovely lemon-shallot vinaigrette. Here I use my own, which works just as well.
Jenna’s Vinaigrette- recipe here: http://fullbellyfarm.com/recipes/jennas-homemade-vinaigrette/. This will keep in a jar in the fridge for weeks. Save the remainder for future salads!
1 bunch kale from your box
a good handful per sandwich of arugula or spinach from your box – washed and dried
Good quality ricotta (Bartavelle uses Bellweather Ricotta)
Good quality olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Bread – Ciabatta Loaf or rolls, or something similar, cut into whatever size you would like your sandwich.
- Sauté your kale in olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. I like mine pretty darn salty and oily.
- Toast your bread. Bartavelle used Acme pizza bread. You want something like a ciabatta, crispy on the outside with lots of holes on the inside.
- Put a generous dollop of ricotta on one slice of bread. You want it to be about 1/4” thick on the bread.
- Pile your kale onto the ricotta, and your spinach and arugula on top of that.
- On the top slice of bread, drizzle a bit of vinaigrette and place on top of the sandwich.